emita is pleased to announce STB Direct Marketing Ltd as August's Member of the Month. You can find out more about this local company below from their Managing Director, Sue Barnes, including the company’s overseas challenges, international achievements and aspirations for the future
1. Please provide a company background including when it was established, where it is located, how many staff you employ etc.
STB Direct Marketing Ltd was established in 2001 and have recently moved to the
2. Please provide an overview of the products and services offered and areas of specialisation.
STB help businesses that broadly fit into 3 key scenarios:
II. We have broken into 1 or 2 markets in
III. We have made great strides into
Our services including
· Market research
· Business structure/tax advice
· Strategic marketing guidance
· Country specific knowledge
· Database development/structure
· Process design and fulfilment
· Marketing data lists
· Language translation
3. How did you find out about emita and what benefits do you find the most valuable?
We found out about EMITA originally by receiving an e-mail about an event, which we signed up for and we also decided to become members at the same time. We have found that the ability to network with other businesses who are either already exporting or who are thinking about it particularly beneficial.
4. How long has your company been active in the export / import market and which countries do you currently trade with?
5. What made you decide to expand your business overseas?
When we set up the business 10 years ago, we realized that there were very few resources available in the market place that could assist businesses in making the move to sell their products/services into the rest of Europe. Especially ones that could provide advice on how to go about marketing at a strategic, as well as the more detailed level covering cultural and language requirements. Success very much depends on paying attention to the detail. Without it costly mistakes can be made.
6. What has been your biggest exporting / importing challenge?
One of the biggest challenges for us has been currency exchange management.
7. What’s the most helpful piece of international trade advice you have received?
The most helpful piece of international trade advice we have received would be ensuring that you spend time on initial market research and understanding the culture of the country you are looking to market into. This time spent in the early stages can pay huge dividends in determining success or failure later on.
8. What does the future hold? Any particular markets you are looking to target next?
Our future growth plans are to stay focused on our core business, but to grow our customer base in the UK and US.